Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Music for Kids


Music for Kids

I adore music. I don't play any instruments (though one day I really want to learn the ukelele), but I love to use music in the classroom. You can find all sorts of articles about how beneficial music is: it can improve memorization skills, increase motivation for learning, lower stress levels, etc, etc, etc... All these things are true. That's why most of us include music in our curriculum, but there's another reason. It's FUN.


There is the question about what sort of music is appropriate to use. There are, of course a ton of CDs and songs that cater directly to your Pre-K audience, some of which are outstanding. Some of my favorite early childhood artists are Dr. Jean Warren, Greg and Steve, Super Simple Songs (Their videos are really cute, too!), and The Learning Station. These groups do a lot of childhood favorites, as well as some original songs that line up with a Preschool Curriculum.

There are some issues with using only this kind of music in your school, home, or daycare, though.

I took a class once on Music in the Elementary Classroom, and we were encouraged to come up with a song that taught a concept. As most teachers are not also composers, we used simple, well-known tunes, like Three Blind Mice, Bingo, Twinkle Twinkle, etc. There are only so many different lyrics/topics your kids can learn to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell (including "The Colors in the Wheel," which is what I wrote for the assignment :) ). And really, do your kids want to jump around and dance to a song that teaches them the days of the week? (My 2 year olds do, so maybe this is a bad example.) As many awesome songs as your Pre-K albums may have on them, sometimes you want something a little different.

I should preface this next part by saying I'm absolutely in favor of the First Amendment. I believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they see fit, but, as an educator, I try to keep things G-rated. If you don't agree with this, that is absolutely okay, but I try to think about the most conservative parent of a student that I have (or could have), then think, "Would that person be comfortable with their child singing and dancing to this song?" So, with that being said, finding popular music that is acceptable in the classroom is MUCH easier said than done.

A few of ground rules (for me, anyway):

  1. Just because it is edited for swear words does NOT mean it is edited for adult content. Slang terms that are not deemed "foul language" still might not be something you want your 3 year olds repeating. 
  2. Just because it is featured in a children's movie does NOT mean it's automatically kid friendly. Some children's movies are rated PG, and their soundtracks, accordingly, may have language or themes your preschool crew shouldn't hear from their teacher. 
  3. I'm not always wild about Disney, but MOST Disney soundtracks are okay. 
  4. This might be extreme, and I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I try to avoid songs by ultra-controversial singers or groups. 
  5. If you're unsure, LOOK UP THE LYRICS. Better safe than sorry. 
So, without further ado, here are some popular songs and artists that I've used for Movement and Music.

Great Naptime Songs:

  • Clair de Lune by Debussy 
  • Con Te Partiro by Andrea Bocelli 
  • All I Do is Dream of You by Michael Buble 
  • Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven 
Beachy Songs for a Luau or a Mellow Moment:

  • 3 Little Birds by Bob Marley 
  • Bali Ha’i by Peggy Lee 
  • Can't Help Falling in Love With You by Elvis Presley 
  • Day-O by Harry Belafonte (he does talk about rum, briefly) 
  • Help Me Rhonda Beach Boys 
  • Kokomo The Beach Boys 
  • Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole 
  • The Tide is High by Blondie 
  • Theme from Hawaii 5-0 
  • Wipe Out by The Ventures 
Love Songs for a Valentine's Day Party (And yes, we did this; they slow danced for 45 minutes. It was great!):

  • Build Me Up Buttercup by Foundation 
  • I’m A Believer by The Monkees/Smashmouth 
  • Faithfully by Journey 
  • My Girl by The Temptations 
  • My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion 
  • Somebody to Love by Queen 
  • Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers 
  • That’s What I Like About You by The Romantics 
Songs to Get Your Kids Pumped Up:

  • Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride by Men at Work 
  • Around the World by ATC 
  • Eye of the Tiger by Survivor 
  • I Feel Good by James Brown 
  • I Like to Move It by Sascha Baron Cohen (Madagascar) 
  • Rock n Roll Pt II by Gary Glitter 
  • Life is a Highway by Rascal Flatts 
  • Mickey by Toni Basil 
Dancing Songs:

  • Cha Cha Slide by Mr. C the Slide Man 
  • Dancing Queen by ABBA 
  • Everybody Dance Now (Gonna Make You Sweat) by C+C Music Factory 
  • Footloose by Kenny Loggins 
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper 
  • La Bamba Richie Valens 
  • Limbo Rock by Chubby Checker 
  • Move it Like This by the Baja Men 
  • Rockin' Robin by The Jackson 5 
  • Safety Dance by Men Without Hats (I picture this with Follow the Leader) 
  • Shout! by The Isley Brothers 
  • The Loco-Motion by Little Eva 
  • Twist and Shout by The Beatles 
  • YMCA by The Village People 
  • Walkin on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves 
  • We Got the Beat by The Go-Gos 
Websites/Keywords to Try if You Need Something Different:
Are these the ONLY songs I play? Absolutely not. It could be a good start, though, and maybe it helped you think of more songs or artists to include for your center's daily playlist or for special events. Feel free to comment with your ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment